Physical conception to digital reality: Update #2

My second update on the process is mostly centered on modelling the bottle in CINEMA 4D as well as creating a suitable texture for the glass, and mapping my label.

10

The last sketch I produced before the modelling stage was only a quick one, and it served to provide a reference for which I could draw a path from in CINEMA 4D to obtain the shape of the bottle, however I later had to revise the sketch in order to get the thickness of the glass correct as well as avoid geometry errors when I extruded the spline in CINEMA 4D

Image

Image

After this I loaded the sketch into CINEMA 4D as a new texture and applied It to a vertical plane I could use as a reference. I drew a path around my sketch fixing any lines that weren’t quite vertical/horizontal (and should’ve been) as well as ensuring all curves were uniform. I doubled the spline back around in order to create thickness as I would be using Lathe NURBS to get the shape – I had tried making a Boolean subtraction from the inside of a block model but this did not work out as I had hoped.

Image

Next, after modifying the angle of the spline with NURBS applied to correct the shape, I adjusted the subdivisions to 46 to create a smoother shape as well as allow the label to fit on correctly (as the plane I used for this was also with 46 subdivisions). I loaded and applied my label texture to the plane and adjusted necessary scales and rules in order to ensure a clean fit. I created the glass texture by activating a transparency channel in the material and changing the refraction to 1.52 (as that is the refraction index of glass) and mixing in a pale green in the transparency channel with a dull white in the main colour channel (but with the brightness set to 20%). For the specular highlight I reduced the falloff and increased the inner width to create a hard highlight since glass is hard, polished and shiny.

Image

At this point in time I currently have a 3D model of a glass pill bottle, which now just requires fixing the shadows, lighting and environment in the scene as well as completing a plastic lid for the bottle, and potentially filling the bottle with pills. When finished I plan to make some simple animations for use as product images and filler clips in the videos we later produce. I hope to look at finishing the environment and model including fixing the shadows which are the current main issue, and then perhaps producing the renders fit for purpose.

Image

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s