Finishing the geometry and environment for the bottle scene left me with a final task in my role; producing 6 short clips showcasing the bottle, intended to represent the idea of medicine and treatment that resounded in our project. I labelled and rendered various shots of the bottles for use on our group’s website:
For the animation, due to time pressure I had to lower the overall final quality of the scene. However, having said that, the clips were produced to be included alongside other footage in the final 6 videos we produced overall, and so would be compressed down as well as being shown at a lower resolution for suitability on a website, so the loss in quality overall would not be so bad.
I started by removing the lightbox scene I had set up and replacing it with a simple floor environment with some fog to blend the floor into the horizon. I made the environment colour cyan with a low intensity to give a clinical atmosphere in the animated scenes – as this was the style we were following with the website and branding scheme.
I used an infinite light combined with an omnidirectional light object to light this scene as it required vastly less calculation to use the stock CINEMA 4D lighting engine than creating a lightbox rig. I removed the global illumination used for the previous renders too for the same reason – due to issues with video production the project was now under a lot of time pressure and the rendering time needed to be made quicker. The result was a slightly less realistic but still accurate render:
Finally I mocked up some camera paths for the animation by keyframing the movement of a camera object controlled directly through the viewport, then smoothing its path by editing the curves in CINEMA 4D’s f-curve editor. I rendered each frame seperately at 1280×1024 in TIFF format then encoded them using the freeware utility “virtualdub” (Virtualdub.org, 2014) at 25 FPS – the EU PAL format.
Virtualdub.org. 2014. Virtualdub. [online] Available at: http://www.virtualdub.org/ [Accessed: 25 Mar 2014].